6 Facts about Ice Damming Every Homeowner Should Know
Ice damming is a common problem that plagues many homes in the Midwest during the winter months. The same conditions that create beautiful icicles off the eaves also lead to the buildup of snow and ice on the roof. Left unaddressed, these dams can wreak havoc on homes of any age and architectural style. For this reason, it is important that homeowners know not only why ice damming occurs but also the preventative steps they can take before the first snowflake even falls.
- Ice damming occurs when the heat from the attic melts the snow on the roof. The melted snow then freezes along the eaves forming a dam. Additional melted water gets backed-up often causing leaks into the home.
- Ice damming can lead to a number of problems including: sagging gutters or gutters pulling away from home, leaks into the structure, loose shingles, and wet insulation leading to mold and mildew.
- The best way to prevent ice damming is by keeping the attic space cool. Close attic bypasses and make sure the area is properly insulated. Adding roofing and soffit vents can also help air circulate through the space.
- Raking snow off the roof can also be helpful in dam prevention. There are specially-designed roof rakes you can use to help remove the excess accumulation. It is important though to always use safety precautions when working from heights.
- Leaks may not be noticeable right away. Often the water that the ice dams push into the home flows through many channels and crevices. Water leaks may not be visible until well after the problem began occurring.
- Do not throw salt on the roof to prevent ice dams. The salt’s corrosive properties can damage both the roof and gutter system.
If your home is experiencing ice damming issues contact the experienced team at Custom Installations today. We can help with all of your exterior maintenance needs including ice dam removal. Saving you the treacherous job of climbing up a ladder in the dead of winter, our technicians are able to safely and securely remedy the problem while offering practical steps you can take for future prevention. Trusted in the North Shore area since 1969, Custom Installations is proud to offer our customers quality contracting service at an affordable price.
Contact us for more information or to schedule a consultation.