As the leaves begin to fall and the kids head back to school, we are reminded once again that the cooler months are just around the corner. Before the snow and ice return, it is important to prepare your homes exterior for the extreme weather. In fact, autumn is a great time to roll-up the sleeves and get to work on the gutters, roof, and walkways. Completing just a few minor tasks will ensure your home is prepared for whatever winter has to bring.
Follow this checklist to get your home winter-ready:
1. Clear the Gutters Before the leaves begin to fall, it is important to make sure your gutter system can efficiently drain water away from the home. Now is great time to clear the debris and check for any leaks that could cause problems during periods of freezing.
2. Mind the Faucets No one wants bursting pipes in the middle of winter. Make sure to shut off your outside faucet valves and fully drain the pipes of any remaining water.
3. Prep with Weather-Stripping Get ready for the cooler temperatures by weather-stripping around your windows and doors. Not only does this keep your living space more comfortable, it can also help lower your heat and utility costs.
4. Inspect the Roof Hire a professional to inspect the roof for any minor repairs that can be made before the weather starts to cool. Left unaddressed, these little annoyances could turn into major problems when the snow and ice get to them.
5. Repair Cracks on Driveway & Walkways Now is a great time to check for cracks on your driveway and walkways. It is better to address any uneven surface now before ice creeps in and further exacerbates the problem. If the damage is minor, you may be able to seal the area. If there are larger issues, contact a professional for help.
While many of these tasks can be completed by the average homeowner, some are best left to a trained professional. At Custom Installations, we offer many exterior solutions to help get your homes exterior ready for winter. Our expert technicians provide quality gutter cleaning services, roof inspections and repairs, and window installation all at a great value to our customers.
Contact us for more information or to schedule a consultation.